Choosing a venue can be overwhelming. Luckily, you’ve already narrowed it down to a Virginia Winery, which is clearly why you’re here.
Luckily for you, Virginia has become a top rated region for wines. Southern Living did a spread on Virginia’s wine country, and according to the Washington Post, Virginia wineries won 22 medals at this year’s San Francisco’s Chronicle Wine Competition.
Next thing to do is figure out your budget. Budget can (and most likely will) play a major role on your venue. Then you can follow this basic format to narrow down your choices even further:
- Pricing. What is included in your quoted price? Is there catering available?
- Availability. This is a no-brainer, but if you have a date or time of year in mind, you need to be sure a venue is available before you even think about tasting the wine. That being said – find out if you can get a discount if you decide to have an off-peak wedding date. This can either include winter or a week day.
- Accommodations. Is it large enough to hold the 500 guests you plan on inviting? On the contrary, is it small enough to make your 50 guests feel welcome? Is there ample parking? How about bathroom facilities?
- Time. How long can we stay?
- Find out if there are outdoor alternatives in the event of weather.
- Can we bring in other types of alcohol? (Some people don’t like wine)
- Are there music restrictions? Can we have a band or a DJ?
And of course, the wine has to be good. Once you are able to narrow down your selection, it’s time to begin the tastings. But we’ll get to that later. For now, enjoy the moment – it’s going to be a (fun) crazy ride!